In Advanced Drawing, students will be reviewing basic drawing skills and the elements and principles of design, while exploring deeper how they are used in art. Students will also explore, in-depth, several different types of media and artistic styles in order to define their personal aesthetic and design their own compositions. In each section, students will observe and analyze various artworks to expand their knowledge of art history and develop their personal aesthetic.
All projects in this course will be an original composition by the student. After instruction and research, students will be given prompts and guidelines on how to create each project, but the final outcome will be unique to each person. At the end of the last four modules, students will participate in either a self- or peer-critique. This is to help students learn to analyze their work and grow as an artist from the input of others.
At the end of the course, students will compile and organize their artwork into a digital portfolio and write an artist statement. This can be used as a record of personal accomplishment or as an application to a secondary art program or job.
- Drawing pencil set 2H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B (preferably woodless)
- 9×12 multimedia sketch book – 60 sheets
- 18×24 pastel paper, assorted colors (gray, tan, black, and burnt umber) – 10 sheets
- Oil pastels – at least 24-piece set
- High quality colored pencils – 36-piece set (recommend Prismacolor brand or similar quality)
- Chalk pastels – 24-piece set
- High-quality art markers (tombow, Prismacolor, or similar brand) water based or alcohol based – primary colors and flesh tones
- 1 black fine point Sharpie
- 1 black ultra-fine point Sharpie
- 1 kneaded eraser
- 1 white eraser
- 1 hand-held pencil sharpener
- Optional – Finishing spray for pastels
- Optional – Assorted blending stumps and tortillions
- Optional – 18×24 portfolio to keep artwork
- Optional – toolbox to keep supplies
- Students will review and demonstrate several elements and principles of design.
- Students will explore various drawing media and use them with a high degree of proficiency.
- Students will create several original compositions throughout the course.
- Students will create both a realistic and abstract still-life.
- Students will create both a realistic and abstract portrait.
- Students will create a children’s book illustration and a comic or cartoon.
- Students will research various artists and art styles to broaden their knowledge of art.
- Students will participate in self- and peer-critiques to analyze their own artwork and grow as an artist from the input of others.
- Modernism and Post-modernism