Graphic Design is an introduction to elements of design, spatial relationships, typography, and imagery as they apply to practical visual solutions for self-promotion, resumes, logo design, Web design, and sequential systems. In this course, the student explores the basic foundations of design through a series of visual projects that explore the principles and elements of design. Students will work both with analog and digital media as they explore two-dimensional and three-dimensional design along with color theory. This course will help develop and explore a student’s ability to communicate visually.
In each lesson, students acquire new skills, which take some effort. Beyond fundamental skills, students will develop various levels of creativity. Each lesson provides room for a student to express the technical skill learned in his or her own creative way.
11 – 12
- Exacto knife
- good paper note pad
- colored pencils
- dotted line paper
- glue stick
- scanner or camera so you can transmit photos/images of your finished work
Students will need a computer or laptop for this course; tablets are not sufficient.
- Internet Navigation
- Word Processing
- Email Communication
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Show skills in lettering.
- Demonstrate techniques in layout design that include balance, margins, airspace, emphasis, and clarity.
- Solve assignment challenges with planning, practice, patience, and the use of techniques introduced in the course.
- Demonstrate awareness of art movements and artists throughout the history of design.
- Demonstrate good design principles with a focus on the composition of assignments.
- Demonstrate increased clarity and self-confidence in visual decision-making.
- Use increased awareness of visual elements in order to create a more successful design.
- Fill the role of a designer to enhance living by applying a developed sense of aesthetics and utility to the creation of a wide variety of images.
- Demonstrate visual literacy in discernment in the media of today.